geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Whence the geronimo kernel?
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:33:51 GMT

On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:55 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 1:26 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>> I believe that xbean-spring is still unnecessary noisy when
>>> compared to something like the Spring Bean Builder (http://www.grails.org/Spring+Bean+Builder

>>> ).
>>
>> That looks nice, but is there any syntax validation possible?  I'm
>> pretty much unwilling to use groovy for anything at this point due
>> to my bad experiences with lack of pre-runtime syntax validation
>> and unclear error messages writing some simple gshell commands.
>> xml is really horrible but most editors do support validation
>> against a schema.
>>
>> On the other hand, I think we could come up with something even
>> shorter, clearer, and to the point, with syntax validation, using
>> scala.
>
> Why Scala?

My knowledge of scala is limited to reading the scala book and not
trying any code, but I got the impression you could do at least as
powerful things in the way of builders as with groovy, plus have
compile time type checking.  As with groovy it's compatible with java
code and compiles to java bytecode.

thanks
david jencks