geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] to create a set of maven archetypes for applications running on geronimo ?
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:13:52 GMT
I had a lot more thoughts on this subject while working up my
apachecon eu talk on geronimo server assemblies.

Right now we have a _lot_ of deployer code that carefully examines
exactly what your app needs and depending on what it finds adds
dependencies to the classloader.  For instance if it figures out you
have a web app and it's the jetty deployer it adds the jetty car as a
parent.  (Some of the smaller deployer bits I think currently always
add their dependencies since there was a problem with changing the
classpath but I hope this can be fixed with the recent configuration/
classloader work).

I think the plugin archetype should do this too.  You tell it what app
you are trying to deploy and some kind of profile like jetty/tomcat
and cxf/axis2 and it (should) use the same logic as the deployer to
figure out what is needed.  For the archetype, it should be adding the
dependencies and deployer dependencies to the pom and listing the
deployer dependencies the car-maven-plugin needs to start.

re stringtemplate vs. velocity.... I don't know enough about how the
archetype framework to judge whether anything except velocity is
plausible.

Are you actively working on this project?  If not I might see if
there's some fairly easy way to access the decision making the current
deployers use.

thanks!
david jencks

On Mar 17, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> [...]
>>     </sys:moduleId>
>>     <sys:dependencies>
>>        <!--some dependency on geronimo 2.1.4 here>
>>     </sys:dependencies>
>>     <sys:hidden-classes/>
>>     <sys:non-overridable-classes/>
>>   </sys:environment>
>>
>>   <context-root>/hellocontext</context-root>
>>
>> </web-app>
>>

>> I can see following benefits by creating these kind of sample
>> archetypes:
>>
>> 1, User does not need to install a subversion to get the samples or
>> to download the samples zip.
>> He just need to install a maven to get all kinds of samples
>> whatever he wants.
>>
>> 2, geronimo version could be provided at sample project generating
>> time.
>> As I know, most of samples content does not change at all except
>> those geronimo version update.  To keep these "stable" samples to
>> archetypes can save the time to
>> maintain every samples per geronimo release.  (of course, for those
>> unstable samples, we still need to update them per geronimo release)
>>
>> 3, Other key properties in geronimo deployment plan could be
>> provided at sample project generating time.
>> This is helpful for user to understand the essential elements of
>> geronimio deployment plan.
>>
>> Current maven archetype is using velocity template which is very
>> powerful to generate project contents based on user's input.
>
> It looks to me as if there are no plans in the javaee apps parts of
> the samples apps, so the plans are all in the plugin modules.  I
> really don't think we want to duplicate the functionality of the
> existing archetypes that do a fine job of creating projects for java
> ee apps.  If you really do want to help people make projects like
> the sample apps, the way to do that is to improve the plugin
> archetype.  I like your ideas about what can be generated in the
> geronimo plan.  I think we can also generate a lot more of the pom
> than we do now.
>
> I would be very tempted to try stringtemplate instead of velocity.
> I think its clear MVC separation and roots in code generation
> technology (it's the output stage for antlr)  may prove useful for
> the manipulation we need to do.
>
> While enabling people to reproduce our sample apps is probably
> better than what we do now, I'd prefer to help them with apps that
> actually do a realistic amount of work.  I think improving the
> plugin archetype would be a really big help.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:41 AM, David Jencks
>> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 16, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:
>>
>>> Maven archetype is a powerful tools to make life easier when
>>> developers want to create a project from scratch.  Currently,
>>> Geronimo is using archetype to create new testsuite/assembly/
>>> plugin/ quickly.
>>>
>>> 1: local -> geronimo-archetype-testsuite (testsuite)
>>> 2: local -> geronimo-assembly-archetype (geronimo-assembly-
>>> archetype)
>>> 3: local -> geronimo-plugin-archetype (geronimo-plugin-archetype)