geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Whence the geronimo kernel?
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:53:53 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> So as mentioned below I'm starting to look into the osgi classloading
> bit, sort of "from the bottom".
>
> Another approach to many of these issues is perhaps "from the top",
> from the point of view of going from a presumably xml plan to a bunch
> of objects.
>
> I've long thought that it must be possible to leverage jaxb to do most
> of the heavy lifting here.  In particular sxc is some code we can
> presumably actually extend to do stuff like constructor dependency
> injection.  So another avenue that could perhaps be approached in
> parallel would be to investigate sxc, jaxb, xbean-spring,
> xbean-reflect, the blueprint service schema, and jsr299 requirements
> and see what we can come up with.
>
> For instance, it might be possible to have a large part of the
> blueprint service functionality in jaxb-enabled objects that jaxb
> instantiates from the xml.  The "init" method could deal with feeding
> the metadata into the blueprint service core.  Maybe we can get sxc to
> use xbean-reflect to create the objects.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking of the blueprint service as just a
"bean assembler".  There's a lot more going on in the runtime beyond
just creating class instances and injecting dependencies.  There are
different sorts of lifecyle considerations (lazy-init, prototype scope),
as well as all of the work that goes into supporting the dynamics of the
OSGi service registry.

> So far this is more or less wild speculation in my head...  but I
> think it would be a lot of fun to investigate.

I thnk it will be too!