geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] to create a set of maven archetypes for applications running on geronimo ?
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:41:07 GMT

On Mar 16, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> Maven archetype is a powerful tools to make life easier when
> developers want to create a project from scratch.  Currently,
> Geronimo is using archetype to create new testsuite/assembly/plugin/
> quickly.
>
> 1: local -> geronimo-archetype-testsuite (testsuite)
> 2: local -> geronimo-assembly-archetype (geronimo-assembly-archetype)
> 3: local -> geronimo-plugin-archetype (geronimo-plugin-archetype)
> 4: local -> xmlbeans-maven-plugin (xmlbeans-maven-plugin)
>
> Which can only help geronimo developers/contributors when they want
> to create their new testsuite/assembly/plugin.  There's no archetype
> for geronimo users who want to create their geronimo Apps/Assets
> easily from scratch.   I'm wondering if geronimo could provide a set
> of new archetypes for Apps/assets running in geronimo. Some initial
> candidates are:
>
> 1, war-geronimo-archetype
> A simple war which contains the geronimo deployment plan.
>
> 2, ear-geronimo-archtype
> A maven project that contains 4 modules:
>  1, a war module
>  2, a ear module
>  3, a ejb module
>  4, a client module.
>
> 3, datasource-geronimo-archtypes
> There should be many sub archtypes to create different datasources
> plan.
>
> 4, security-geronimo-archtypes
> There should be many sub archtypes to create different(properties/db/
> ldap) realms.
>
> 5, GBean-geronimo-archtype
> A simple GBean development archtype with two mode: normal/annotation
>
> Any comments ?

I don't quite understand yet what these archetypes would provide.  The
most plausible thing would be to add a "fill in the blanks" plan
template.  I'm not sure an archetype is the best way to do this, but
I'm certainly open to seeing how it works.

Our existing plugin and assembly archetypes are rather obsolete and
don't use the current archetype infrastructure.  I wonder if a more
practical project would be to update especially the plugin archetype
to figure out what kind of thing you are building a plugin for and
include the appropriate plan template and add the appropriate
dependencies and car-maven-plugin configuration.

I guess if we could figure out how to this more or less the same logic
could be used to modify an existing javaee maven project to insert the
appropriate geronimo plan template in the appropriate directory.  I
don't think that dupicating the war, ear, etc archetypes is likely to
be worth the effort.

Anyway I'd certainly like to know more about what you have in mind and
am very glad someone else is thinking about maven archetype support!

thanks
david jencks