geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Weber <webe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:33:36 GMT

Jarek Gawor-2 wrote:

> If we can come up with some interesting project ideas, I would be
> happy to mentor a student or two.

A unique feature for Geronimo would be the ability to override every each
single JEE deployment descriptor setting with geronimo-application.xml (same
as you can right now do only with geronimo-ra.xml).
The JEE idea of a deployer role who changes JEE descriptors and builds
applications is not practical. In practice, companies have a process that
requires developers to produce ready to run applications, which are then
given to IT operations (who usually adapt some property files with server
names and port numbers and so on, they never change web.xml). So it would be
cool if developers could furnish an application.ear together with a
geronimo-application.xml (that IT operations would adapt (with a really nice
and shining wysiwyg editor for geronimo-application.xml)

Still better, if you could edit geronimo-application.xml via the console.
I once opened JIRAs for this:

And, I am sure there are lots of other interesting improvement requests in
JIRA ...

Thanks,
Juergen