geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Security Vulnerability Policy created
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:58:18 GMT

On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Based on the positive feedback to my proposal I updated out wiki
> process document with the steps I proposed earlier.  See http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-project-policies.html

>  for details.

Sorry, I thought that I'd replied to this, already.

I have one change -- a *release* (i.e. a release vote) must precede
the formal announcement of a vulnerability.

So, I would make the process:

9. Create a JIRA and commit the fix in all actively maintained
releases. The contents of the Jira should not indicate that it is a
security-related Jira.
10. Roll a release for each actively maintained branch (unreleased
trunk can wait.)
11. Announce the vulnerability (users, dev, security@a.o, bugtraq at
securityfocus.com, full-disclosure at lists.grok.org.uk and project
security pages)
12. Update the JIRA and svn log with security-related information and
include the CVE number.

The svn commit at step 9 may contain enough information to indicate
the security vulnerability. However, until we have a *release*, we
don't have an Apache-sanctioned resolution to the problem. The voting
process for a security-fix release can be expedited (by pre-vetting
the release on private mailing lists). I'm comfortable with this
slight exposure. Also, this is the same basic process followed by
other Apache projects.

--kevan