geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Make "framework" build the entire framework server
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:16:18 GMT
I did the basic reorganization in rev 746112.  We probably want to
change some groupIds if everyone is OK with the change.

On Feb 18, 2009, at 4:46 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 7:15 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds worth the time to try it out.
>>>
>>> Two requests:
>>> 1) If this works, we publish the framework assembly instead of the
>>> two minimal assemblies to the Download page for 2.2, as this would
>>> allow users to build their own custom minimal server assembly (and
>>> of course some docs telling users how to create the old minimal
>>> assembly from this new framework assembly.)
>>
>> I'm neutral or slightly +0.1 on this idea.  I don't actually see
>> how it relates to my proposal but if everyone agrees I'm fine with
>> this idea.
>
> Less = more IMO, so I'm +1

I guess this should be a separate vote...

>>> 2) If time permits, can we move or duplicate relevant testsuite
>>> modules into a new testsuite dir under either the framework dir or
>>> a new framework-testsuite dir, so that we can verify the basic
>>> framework cmdline scripts and installing plugins (like Jetty/
>>> Tomcat to make an equivalent minimal assembly)?
>>
>> I like this idea.  For a few months now when I work on a plugin set
>> (mconsole, activemq) I've included a custom server aseembly in the
>> plugin group and added at least one integration test.  This has
>> really helped speed up feature development.  IIUC you are proposing
>> doing the same for framework.
>
> Sure, +1
I haven't done this yet.  I don't think we have any integration tests
that run on framework yet.  I'll probably come up with some simple
ones soon.

thanks
david jencks