geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Bind to specific network interface - configuration
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 17:17:35 GMT

On Feb 9, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Kevan Miller
> <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2009, at 12:11 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> To configure most our Geronimo services to bind to a specific
>>> network
>>> interface the user sets the "ServerHostname" property. However, for
>>> Corba services the user must also set "COSNamingHost", "ORBSSLHost",
>>> and "ORBHost" properties. So, altogether the user must configure 4
>>> different properties. I'm wondering if we can just get rid of the
>>> "COSNamingHost", "ORBSSLHost", and "ORBHost" properties and just use
>>> "ServerHostname" property for everything? That should make things a
>>> little easier for the user.
>>
>> Sounds good to me. I don't know why those corba-based Host
>> properties were
>> separate from ServerHostname to begin with. I searched email list
>> and didn't
>> see anything signficant, other than they were different.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be best to have all of the host settings to be
>> seperately customizable, but default to ServerHostname. Something
>> like:
>>
>> ServerHostname=0.0.0.0
>> ORBSSLHostname={ServerHostname}
>> ActiveMQHostname={ServerHostname}
>> JettyHostname={ServerHostname}
>>
>> Then customize the JettyHostname, when you want to alter the ip
>> address used
>> by web container clients...
>
> Yes, that would be nice but we don't support this type of variable
> expansion in config-substitutions.properties right now AFAIK.
> Something we might need to add first.

I think we can use ServerHostName for all of them ... this involves
changing the plugin metadata in the poms for the plugins.

If someone wants to use different host names for the different plugins
they can change the config.xml for the gbeans to use a different
substitution variable name.  There's an automated way to do this using
an overrides file if you are assembling a custom server using maven,
otherwise I think anyone wanting to do this will be sophisticated
enough to edit config.xml by hand.

thanks
david jencks