geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Security Vulnerability Policy created
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:31:19 GMT
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
> Based on the positive feedback to my proposal I updated out wiki process
> document with the steps I proposed earlier.  See
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-project-policies.html for details.
>
> Sorry, I thought that I'd replied to this, already.
> I have one change -- a *release* (i.e. a release vote) must precede the
> formal announcement of a vulnerability.

I'm not sure I agree with this. We should not need a new release for
any security problem. We should be able to announce any vulnerability
as long as we provide work-arounds (i.e. how to disable a component or
whatever to prevent the security vulnerability from being exposed in
the first place) or provide patches that fix the vulnerability (in
binary, source or whatever format). For example, say we have some
security problem in Axis2 plugin. In that case, we should be able to
release new (fixed) Axis2 plugin and provide instructions on how to
uninstall the old plugin and install the new one. In other cases we
could just publish somewhere an updated jar file and tell people how
to update it.
This way we could create a new release at any point after the
vulnerability was announced and be totally open when we commit fixes
for the problem (i.e. reference CVE in log messages at the commit time
and have CVE mentioned in the release notes, etc.)

So in my opinion the process should be:

8. Reach an agreement for the fix and announcement schedule with the submitter.
9. Announce the vulnerability (users, dev, security@a.o, bugtraq at
securityfocus.com, full-disclosure at lists.grok.org.uk and project
security pages). The vulnerability announcement must provide
instructions on how to prevent or fix the security problem.
10. Create a JIRA and commit the fix in all actively maintained
releases referencing the CVE number.

and that's it.

The only issue is that fix in step 8 is generated against latest
official release (e.g. 2.0.2 or 2.1.3) but what gets committed to
actively maintained branches might be slightly different (to account
for other changes that might have been done in the branch).

Jarek