geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time for Geronimo 2.1.4 release?
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:44:13 GMT
Jay,

Updating OpenEJB 3.0.1 to xbean 3.5 will require 2.0.3 and 2.1.4 to
update the asm 3.1 library (and that will need even more changes). I
know some other libs have deps on the asm lib so we might run into
problems later on.

How about we only upgrade xbean-naming to 3.5 first and leave other
xbean dependencies on 3.4.1? If that doesn't work we can try 3.5 for
everything.

Jarek

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Jay D. McHugh <jaydmchugh@gmail.com> wrote:
> All of the 2.0.3 build issues are fixed.
>
> I will try building 2.0.3 with XBeans 3.5 now and let you all know what
> happens.
>
> If it will build, then I might take a look to see whether I can figure
> out what changes are necessary for OpenEJB 3.0.1 to use XBeans 3.5 too.
>
> Jay
>
> Jay D. McHugh wrote:
>> The problem is with the version of ASM that is brought in when using a
>> higher version of XBeans.
>>
>> OpenEJB is using a method that has been removed:
>> org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.accept
>>
>> And Geronimo (already - not counting XBeans 3.5) is using classes that
>> have been removed:
>> LinkResolver
>> UniqueDefaultLinkResolver
>>
>> Jay
>>
>> Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> Thanks for the info Jay and for doing some more digging.
>>>
>>> I don't really have a strong desire to push everything to xBean 3.5.  I
>>> was just trying to eliminate the use of multiple xBean versions as this
>>> could potentially cause problems (and confusion) for our users.
>>>
>>> It looks like we originally moved up to xBean 3.5 (actually
>>> 3.5-SNAPSHOT) to resolve a jca context issue (Geronimo-4375).  However,
>>> it looks like it was soon discovered that there were issues with the
>>> OpenEJB, ASM and xBean versions in G.  As a result ... we ended up
>>> reverting back to an older ASM and xBean 3.3 for finder and reflect
>>> while keeping the newer xbean-naming 3.5 so that the original issue was
>>> still resolved.  That seems to be working and is perhaps the best
>>> approach.  I was just concerned about using the various xBean versions
>>> in our Geronimo 2.1.4 server.  Perhaps using the various xBean versions
>>> is still the best thing to do here.  I didn't realize that there were
>>> core issues in OpenEJB attempting to use anything greater than 3.4.1.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe

 In

I updated