geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Geronimo 2.1.4 release notes
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:55:25 GMT
Are there any substantial features or improvements that we should
highlight in the Geronimo 2.1.4 release notes?  This should be a
relatively brief list if we mention anything at all.  Typically, we do
not announce many new features in a maintenance release like Geronimo
2.1.4.  However, if there are some we should identify them.

For example:
- Geronimo 2.1.1 - There were no additional features announced
- Geronimo 2.1.2 - The Plan Creator was referenced
- Geronimo 2.1.3 - There were no additional features announced

For reference, here is the complete set of features that we describe in
the release notes as enhancements specific to Geronimo 2.1.+:

Geronimo 2.1 Enhancements
-------------------------

Custom server assemblies
- Lightweight server assemblies may be created that contain only the
functional
   components required by your application(s).

Flexible admin console
- The admin console is now component-based to mirror the server
capabilities.
   This allows the admin console to provide flexible administrative
capabilities
   that will mirrors the capabilities of a custom server assembly.

GShell
- GShell is a command-line processing environment that can be used for
the execution
   of Geronimo commands. GShell is an extensible environment and
includes support
   for editing, command history, and tab completion.

Clustering Support
- WADI can now be used to support clustering of web applications for
Geronimo configurations
   which use the Tomcat Web Container (WADI support for Jetty was in
previous releases).
- Applications can be deployed to administratively-defined groups of
Geronimo servers

Monitoring Console Plugin
- The monitoring console plugin provides monitoring support in the
Geronimo admin console.
   The monitoring console can gather statistics and performance data
from multiple Geronimo
   servers and graphically display this data to users.

Plan Creator (added in Geronimo 2.1.2)
- Plan Creator is a new portlet added to administration console to
simplify the creation of
   Geronimo specific deployment plans. Given a web application archive
(war), Plan Creator walks
   the user through a sequence of steps and generates geronimo-web.xml
automatically.

Thanks,
Joe