geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Use apache's nexus for release and snapshot staging and deployment
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:22:07 GMT

- How would this affect our upcoming releases of javamail spec, javamail
provider, txmanager, and the Geronimo 2.1.4 server?   Some of these
utilize the maven release process and other do not.
- What are the potential gotchas when making this conversion?
- How would this affect our plugin installation given that they
reference people.apache and such?  I suspect there might be some work
necessary here.
- How about custom server assemblies - any potential impacts related to
plugins again?

I've also seen comments that indicate that there might be issues with
artifacts from private repositories (such as we have for our private
builds of pluto, tomcat, etc...) and external repositories (like our dependencies) that require special handling.  Are there
potential problems lurking there?

It could be there is really nothing here to worry about but I really
don't know enough about the changes necessary for Nexus to say one way
or the other and I tend to get risk adverse as we get closer to a
release.  Perhaps we should wait until after we release Geronimo 2.1.4
to make this change.

I have to vote -1 until these questions can be answered and there is
some degree of certainty that this won't hinder the 2.1.4 release or the
plugin install & custom assembly user experience.

David Jencks wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>> Would this be just for trunk or would it also include the upcoming
>> 2.1.4 release?
>> What about devtools, specs, components, daytrader and gshell?
> I think it would be for everything we release to a maven repo including
> xbean, gshell, components, specs, daytrader, plugins, server, and
> everything else I forgot about.
> I guess devtools might be different.... I'm not sure if that is released
> to a maven repo or to somewhere else??... but if to a maven repo then it
> should use nexus.
> david jencks
>> -Donald
>> David Jencks wrote:
>>> Last week I noted that there's an apache nexus installation that we
>>> can use for staging and deployment...
>>> They suggest a vote on this, so here goes.
>>> Lets ask sonatype/infra to move geronimo to using nexus for deployment.
>>> +1.... about time already
>>> +0.... needs more thought
>>> -1... I prefer doing things the hard way :-D
>>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>> thanks
>>> david jencks

View raw message