geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Chance Yeoman <cyeo...@cait.org>
Subject Re: Pulling Geronimo Configuration
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:08:09 GMT

On Feb 11, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Chance Yeoman wrote:

> Thank you for information,
>
> My understanding of the plugin-based farming is incomplete as well.
> From the Geronimo 2.1 documentation of plugin-based farming, it did
> not seem as if node server configuration was checked and updated
> upon startup.  Is this new to Geronimo 2.2 farming?

I think the plugin based farming is only in 2.2.  IIRC the deployment
based farming in 2.1 relies on pushing stuff.

> As an alternative to multicast, our configuration could use a
> configured admin server approach to node discovery by using a
> virtual IP that would route to a master server.  Unlike
> multicasting, this approach would require configuration external to
> Geronimo to remain flexible, like virtual IP routing or DNS
> management.  While multicast would be a better choice for most
> configurations, would it be plausible to include admin server
> hostname/IP based node discovery as a configuration option, with
> multicast as the default?

That sounds reasonable to me, although I don't know how virtual IP
works.

Since we're talking about a new feature it would be better to move the
discussion to the dev list, and if you would open a jira that would
also help.

Depending on your requirements I can think of a couple of possible
strategies:

1. when a node starts up it request the plugin list from the admin
server.  In this case the admin server doesn't track the node members
and if you update a plugin list nodes won't know until they restart.

2. when a node starts up it starts pinging the admin server.  The
admin server tracks cluster members similarly to how it does now with
multicast.  Changes to plugin lists will be propagated quickly to
running nodes.

I think (2) would be easier to implement as it just replaces the
multicast heartbeat with a more configured one.

Would you be interested in contributing an implementation?

thanks
david jencks

Absolutely.  I'm taking a peek at the MulticastDiscoveryAgent code to get an idea of how a
new implementation would plug in.

I agree that strategy 2 would be a good place to start as the behavior of the server farm
would be the same regardless of the node discovery mechanism.

One requirement that this would not address is the ability to rotate plugin deployments to
cluster member nodes one at a time or in separate batches rather than all at once.  This functionality
would probably belong elsewhere though.

I will open a jira about optionally configuring an admin host for node discovery and begin
work on an implementation.

Thanks for your help,

Chance