geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: git, hg or bzr for G development?
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:47:10 GMT
On Jan 28, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>> What does git have that svn doesn't which makes you so interested in
>> the subject?
>
> IIUC, the major advantages of GIT are:
>
> * offline commits - you can commit changes, even if online.
> * cheap branching - this would make it much simpler for individuals
> to create private local branches and work on implementing a
> particular feature, without interfering with other development they
> might be working on in the same code branch.
> * fast merging - given the cheap branching, you need to do a lot of
> merging, which GIT is supposed to do very well
>
> GIT would not be a replacement of SVN. The GIT repositories are
> actually mirroring svn. GIT would just be a new tool for accessing
> our code.
>
> There are some usages of GIT that would not fit well into an Apache
> project. For instance, I would not want to see project members using
> GIT as a private means of sharing code updates. Ultimately, code
> needs to get into our svn repo -- that's where we should be sharing
> code.

Why do you have a problem with users sharing code via their own GIT
repos?  I guess I can kinda see your concern, but I'd expect folks
with significant changes to the codebase to want to share their GIT
repos with others *before* pushing those changes back into SVN.

> Barring any objections, I'm going to request that Geronimo be added
> to the GIT mirrors later this week.

No objections here, so far I really like GIT, only thing I don't like
is the huge wait while I setup my local repo due to the crazy ASF SVN
singleton repository.

--jason