geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <wgstodd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: G download stats
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:50:04 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>> I'm sure most of you know about Vadim's Apache stats project for
>> tracking download statistics for the verious Apache projects:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html
>> <http://people.apache.org/%7Evgritsenko/stats/index.html>
>>
>> A fun little project but exceedingly difficult (not to mention time
>> consuming) for Vadim to dig into the details of each project in order
>> to present project stats with finer details.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, I did some Ruby hacking to modify Vadim's
>> apache log mining script to filter out Geronimo project data with
>> finer resolution.  Here are the results:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~stoddard/stats/data/
>> <http://people.apache.org/%7Estoddard/stats/data/>
>
> BTW, if I understand what you are counting, then these statistics only
> represent some fraction of the actual downloads (i.e. the downloads
> from http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/
> <http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/2.1.3/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3-bin.zip>
)
> Downloads from the various Apache mirrors would not be counted...
> Wondering if hits to the mirroring system
> (e.g. http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/geronimo/ ) would yield a
> more accurate statistic.
>
> --kevan
These stats include downloads redirected to the mirrors.   I do count
the redirects for download artifacts by closer.cgi.   As expected, I
have no way to determine if a redirect was successful... very possible
some fractions of hits are duplicates (i.e., a mirror failed and the
client came back for another mirror).

Bill