geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <wgstodd...@gmail.com>
Subject G download stats
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:40:50 GMT
I'm sure most of you know about Vadim's Apache stats project for
tracking download statistics for the verious Apache projects:

http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html

A fun little project but exceedingly difficult (not to mention time
consuming) for Vadim to dig into the details of each project in order to
present project stats with finer details.

Just out of curiosity, I did some Ruby hacking to modify Vadim's apache
log mining script to filter out Geronimo project data with finer
resolution.  Here are the results:

http://people.apache.org/~stoddard/stats/data/

I'll not bother commenting or summarizing on the different results
because it's exciting in exactly the same way as watching paint dry.

The one item that might need a bit of explaining is the reference to
'206W', so I'll cover that briefly...  A 'successful' reply to an HTTP
Range request is a status '206'  response (see RFC 2616 if you want to
know about range requests).   So the '206' in 206W refers to a
successful reply to a Range request.  The 'W' means 'weighted'.... more
on 'W' in a bit.

An example... if the size of a file to download is 100M, a client can
make 10 range requests, each requesting a different 10MB segment of the
file.  There are various reasons why a client might issue a range
request (PDF, acrobat and similar viewers, high bandwidth but very low
latency connections between the server and client and so forth. reason
is not important to this explanation... ).  Each of the 10 Range
requests will create a 206 reply entry in the web server's log file.
So... if we are counting downloads of that 100MB file, it would be
incorrect to count each 206 reply as a download.  The 'w', which stand
for weighted... in this case, the '206W' download count would be '1'.
The 10 206 replies are equivalent to 1 download of the 100 MB file.

fyi...

Bill