geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: private repo in svn questions...
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:14:46 GMT

On Dec 1, 2008, at 8:12 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> In order to get the build to work with my use of nexus I've added
> the trunk svn repo (server/trunk/repository) to the nexus
> repositories.
>
> This makes me wonder if we should just set up a single repo in svn
> and put all our private builds there rather than having branch-
> specific repos.  Would this result in more or less or the same load
> on the svn server?

I'm not sure that load is going to be a big issue. There's one aspect
to hosting the repository in the same svn branch (e.g. server/trunk/
repository) -- these private builds are part of our release voting
process. To consider moving to a geronimo/repository structure, I'd
like to understand how we maintain appropriate control on these
artifacts (not saying it can't be done...).

> I also wonder if our policy of patching apache projects and coming
> up with our own psuedo releases is really the best idea or if we
> should just copy their code over in svn and build it more directly.

Not sure that it's *necessary*, but it's a good idea. Although patches
give a better idea of the intent of these private builds -- they're
patches, not forks...

At one point we discussed renaming these artifacts as geronimo
artifacts (e.g. org/apache/geronimo/patched/jasper/6.0.18-G678601/
jasper-6.0.18-G678601.jar ). Would this be a better technique for
solving the issue?

--kevan