geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Update on documentation progress of Geronimo v2.2
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 20:46:35 GMT

On Dec 4, 2008, at 1:35 AM, RunHua Chi wrote:

> Thanks David for your comments.
>
> I guess we have some different understandings regarding "Users" of
> Geronimo.My understanding is that Geronimo is an application server
> and its
> primary user would be application developers. While they might need
> to know
> what a plugin or a gbean is in Geronimo but don't have to build the
> source
> code. That's where my proposal comes from. And mostly they would read
> GMOxDOC to learn how to utilize Geronimo for their application
> development.
>
> And we have another group of "Users"(actually I'd rather call them
> "developers" ^_^), they are more interested in Geronimo structure,
> kernel
> and keen on breakthroughs. In my understanding, they would go to
> GMOXDEV for
> more information.
>
> Any other ideas, please speak up. :)

To me, the preferred way of using geronimo for anything other than
experimentation with toy apps is to use your build system to build
your apps, package them as geronimo plugins, and build a custom server
assembly including your apps.  I'd prefer if the documentation clearly
reflect this approach.  In any case I think anything relevant to this
approach needs to be in the 2.2 docs.

thanks
david jencks

> Jeff
>

> djencks wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:55 PM, RunHua Chi wrote:
>>

>>> Do we need to move following topics to GMOXDEV as they are also
>>> about how to
>>> build
>>>
>>> 1. build a plugin as part of a maven build using the car-maven-
>>> plugin.
>>> 2. install a plugin using the car-maven-plugin
>>> 3. Assembling a server using Maven
>>
>> These all need to stay in the regular documentation.  We expect many
>> users to do all these activities every day, even if they don't build
>> geronimo.
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>>

>>> If the answer is yes. Maybe we could have a page to collect all
>>> informations
>>> on how to build with maven at GMOXDEV?So far, I have some topics
>>> coming up
>>> my mind:
>>>
>>> a. build Geronimo source code;
>>> b. build/install a plugin using car-maven-plugin;
>>> c. build a new server from the existing one;