geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo VM-appliance?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:57:45 GMT

On Dec 15, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2008, at 3:24 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>> I think this is a great idea.  I doubt we can host it at
>> apache..... unless we do something like bsd  + harmony (not even
>> sure if that is likely to work)
>
> Thats what I've been realizing...  But can we link to it/documented
> it from apache?

I don't see why not...

We could not release any non-ASF compatibly licensed binaries  (e.g.
(L)GPL) from Apache. However, this does not prevent us from providing
build/configuration support for such an appliance. We could provide
instructions on how to obtain incompatible licensed artifacts. Just
need to make sure that users understand that their actions may have
potential licensing implications.

If the *only* realization of this work requires the presence of (L)GPL
artifacts, then, IIUC, it might need to be hosted outside of Apache.
This would require some analysis on our part as well as a review on
legal-discuss@.

Regardless, assuming the work is useful to Geronimo users, I'd think
we'd want to let Geronimo users know about it. We'd do this for any
other Geronimo-related works, also... So, I don't see an issue with
linking to and describing the project. "Documenting" the project might
be another issue...

--kevan