geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Naming conventions for our adapter code and plugins for external projects
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:37:37 GMT
I guess the ral problem, is that we have two competing goals:

1) Custom Server Assemblies via car-maven-plugin - To provide multiple
levels of modules/plugins to allow users to choose the level of
components hey need, like Jetty6 vs. Jetty7.  This is sort of what
ServiceMix allows, by starting with the SMX4 Kernel and adding which
features or individual OSGi plugins you want.  It would be a great goal
to finally implement in Geronimo 3.0, so users could choose between JEE5
and JEE6 components.

2) Preserving application compatibility on newer servers - If a user has
an app working on Geronimo 2.0.x or 2.1.x, then we shouldn't require
them to modify the app (source or plans) for it to work on future releases.

Scenario #2 is the one I'm trying to preserve, as users expect this of us.

-Donald