geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: private repo in svn questions...
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 13:41:59 GMT

David Jencks wrote:
> In order to get the build to work with my use of nexus I've added the
> trunk svn repo (server/trunk/repository) to the nexus repositories.
>
> This makes me wonder if we should just set up a single repo in svn and
> put all our private builds there rather than having branch-specific
> repos.  Would this result in more or less or the same load on the svn
> server?

Seems that moving the artifacts out into a unique svn branch (from
geronimo/server/trunk/repository to geronimo/private/repo) would
increase the load, as now every server build would be hitting the svn
repo for artifacts (instead of just the /samples or /plugins builds.)

> I also wonder if our policy of patching apache projects and coming up
> with our own psuedo releases is really the best idea or if we should
> just copy their code over in svn and build it more directly.

I could go either way on this.  I would like to see us at least check-in
a tar/zip of the source for the patched artifacts into a branch, to make
it easier to reproduce patched builds if needed (and so end users can
rebuild everything if needed or used the patched source in a debugger.)

> I also discovered a couple of weeks back that the lack of poms in this
> repo was causing significant build delays while maven was looking
> everywhere it could think of for them so I added them when I could
> easily find them in the artifacts.  I think we should add them for the
> other artifacts as well.

Agree.