geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: private repo in svn questions...
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:22:37 GMT
On Thursday 04 December 2008 1:14:46 pm Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 8:12 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> > I also wonder if our policy of patching apache projects and coming
> > up with our own psuedo releases is really the best idea or if we
> > should just copy their code over in svn and build it more directly.
>
> Not sure that it's *necessary*, but it's a good idea. Although patches
> give a better idea of the intent of these private builds -- they're
> patches, not forks...
>
> At one point we discussed renaming these artifacts as geronimo
> artifacts (e.g. org/apache/geronimo/patched/jasper/6.0.18-G678601/
> jasper-6.0.18-G678601.jar ). Would this be a better technique for
> solving the issue?

To me, yes.   The Maven PMC recently decided that the official policy will be
that we'll only sink stuff to central for projects that make a "best effort"
to get all the dependencies into central.   Projects that insist on having
private repos and such may get "cut off" if they actually decide to enforce
it.    If the artifacts are in org/apache/geronimo/patched, they could also
go to central.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org