On Nov 6, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Jack Cai wrote:

Thanks a lot Donald!

So if we make this as a plugin (well, it's really a windows exe), we will not be able to install it to the bin directory, right? If this is the case, then it might not be conveniet for the users to control the service using command line.

You can build a plugin that unpacks something to the bin directory on installation.  The geronimo-boilerplate plugin (under assemblies) does nothing else.  Most or all of the *-deployer plugins unpack a schema into the schema directory.  You end up with 2 copies of the stuff in the server (one in the car, one in the unpacked location) but I haven't worried about this.

Another option is to create different assembly configuration for different OS. This is very easy to achieve by adding more pom.xml to the assemblies directory. This can also help to eliminate *.sh for Windows assemblies and *.bat for Unix/Linux assemblies. But I guess creating OS-specific build is something that Geronimo has been avoiding to do?

I would prefer to avoid this complication.

thanks
david jencks

- Jack Cai