geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Only Support Java SE 6 with Geronimo 2.2
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2008 22:47:22 GMT

On Nov 7, 2008, at 12:04 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> The time has come to make the hard decision -
>
> Do we only build and certify Geronimo 2.2 on the Sun 1.6.0 JDK and
> drop support for running on Java SE 5?

Um. What do you mean "drop support"? We've only announced
"certification" on a particular Java SE level, in the past. We've
documented minimum SE platform (e.g. Java EE 5 is hard to do on 1.4).

I would be against some sort of explicit Java SE 5 runtime check that
would fail server startup. If a user shows up with a Java SE 5 issue,
I'd expect that we'd be trying to fix their problem, regardless of our
"support statement"

I have no issue with performing certification testing, only, on Java
Se 6 (but would also be happy to see some Java SE 5 runs...).

However, I don't see any reason to discourage users from using Java SE
5, if that's what they want...

> Pros:
> - Reduce testing effort to one version of Java

Fine, but w/ testing hardware, may not be a big issue to test on both...

> - Allows us to use the JAXB 2.1, JAX-WS 2.1 and wsgen tools in the
> JDK, instead of shipping those jars in our assemblies (and removes
> some more Sun RI from our assemblies)  :-)

I thought we were going to be picking up tools from CXF -- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4351

  Would that resolve your issues with Java SE 5?

--kevan