geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: grails plugin
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:45:40 GMT

On Nov 14, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> I started some preliminary work on a grails plugin that could be
> used to collect all of the grails dependencies so that they can be
> shared. Along with this we would need to provide a mechanism to
> generate a war file in grails which does not contain any of the
> common elements.  I'd like to check in what I have thus far.  There
> is only one catch.  Some of the dependencies are Hibernate (LGPL).
> I've updated my poms with a scope of provided for the hibernate
> dependencies.  Is that sufficient so that I can check the plugin
> into our SVN without any legal issues if somebody installs it?

I think so but get confused by the legal issues.

> I'm also interested in additional thoughts on how to deal with the
> hibernate dependencies.  Should I consider using prerequisite
> instead of dependency so that they must be installed (I'm not yet
> sure if a grails application will work without hibernate but I
> suspect that it should)?

I think this is the most plausible use of prerequisites that anyone
has suggested so far.

> Comments appreciated.  I'd really like to get this checked in under https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins

>  so it doesn't get lost even if it isn't quite ready for prime-time
> yet.

That's fine with me.... sandbox would also be ok if you foresee
problems getting it done but I'd prefer plugins.

Does grails use proprietary hibernate features not available in jpa or
are they just stuck on a particular dependency for no particular reason?

thanks
david jencks