geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 (trunk) bucket-o-snapshots
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:31:59 GMT

On Nov 11, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> It has been mentioned several times that we should be looking to
> release Geronimo 2.2 before the end of the year (preferrably mid-
> December).
>

> Before we can consider a release there are a large number of
> snapshots that need to be removed/replaced in our project.  Can
> anybody shed any light on these (or others that I may have missed)?
>

> OpenEJB 3.1-SNAPSHOT  - Actually, OpenEJB 3.1 was released in late
> October.  However, the trunk version was never updated and some
> additional changes have been included.  Recent changes in Geronimo
> trunk now require this snapshot that is actually newer than the 3.1
> release. IMO we should revert the trunk change and attempt to work
> with the released OpenEJB 3.1.
>
> Axis2 SNAPSHOT (yep, it's just SNAPSHOT without a number).  IIUC
> correctly we need to get an Axis2 release before we can consider a
> Geronimo 2.2 release.  Does anybody know how close we are to getting
> an Axis2 release?
>
> Axiom SNAPSHOT (yep. it's just SNAPSHOT too).  I believe this is
> required by Axis2 ... so if Axis2 is released then they will have to
> get Axiom released as well (and we can pick up the released version).
>
> -xBean 3.5-SNAPSHOT.  Is this snapshot really required (I presume it
> must be)?  In branches/2.1 we're still using 3.3.  It looks like the
> latest released version is 3.4.3.  I'll give that a shot if I don't
> hear from anybody that we really need 3.5.

xbean-naming 3.5 is required.  Normally we release all xbean modules
at once.

> -wadi 2.1-SNAPSHOT.  Is this snapshot really required (I presume it
> must be)?  In branches/2.1 we're using 2.0.  What function requires
> 2.1-SNAPSHOT and is can somebody directly involved with wadi provide
> an estimate on when this might be released?
>
> -geronimo_j2ee-connector_1.6_spec 1.0-EA-SNAPSHOT.  Are we at a
> point where we can release this spec or do we need to wait until we
> verify tck?

I wish I knew.  I guess we could release any number of x.y-EA followed
by 1.0 after the spec is final and we get the tck.

> - geronimo-jaspi_1.0_spec 1.0-SNAPSHOT.  Are we at a point where we
> can release this spec or do we need to wait until we verify tck?

Here at least the spec is done.  I guess we need to ask geir to look
for a tck for it.

> - geronimo-servlet_3.0_spec 1.0-EA-SNAPSHOT.  Are we at a point
> where we can release this spec or do we need to wait until we verify
> tck?

Same as connector 1.6 although probably less stable.

> - geronimo-jaspi 1.0-SNAPSHOT.  This is a new geronimo component.
> How close is this to being able to be released?

Let me think about this a bit.... probably close to releasable.

> - geronimo-concurrent_1.0_spec 1.0-SNAPSHOT.  How close is this to
> being able to be released?
>
> - XmlSchema SNAPSHOT (yep, it's just SNAPSHOT).  I believe this is
> also related to Axis2 dependencies and will have to be resolved by
> Axis2 as they release.
>
> - woden* 1.0-SNAPSHOT.  This is also related to Axis2 and will have
> to be resolved for an Axis2 release so we will pull in whatever they
> require.
>
> - selenium-maven-plugin 1.0-rc-1-SNAPSHOT.  I believe that we pulled
> this in trying to resolve the FF3 issues.  It's not clear to me if
> we would have to remove this SNAPSHOT prior to a release but I think
> it would be best to ensure that the tagged release can always be
> built and run with tests - therefore I think we should remove it.
> Any other opinions?

We should remove it.  I think they tagged a working version, don't
recall the situation regarding publishing the result.... dont see it
in the nexus index, but may not have the correct repo.

> - jspc-maven-plugin 2.0-alpha-2-SNAPSHOT.  I'm not sure why this is
> updated (in branches/2.1 we use 2.0-alpha-1-20070806).  Anybody
> know? We should remove it.
>
> - jspc-compiler-tomcat6 2.0-alpha-2-SNAPSHOT.  I'm not sure why this
> was updated either.  In branches/2.1 we updated the maven plugin
> (above) but not the compiler but in trunk both were updated to the
> alpha-2-SNAPSHOT.  Anybody know why?
>
> - ianal-maven-plugin  1.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT.  No doubt to support the
> new legal file processing.  Is there a released version we can use
> instead of the SNAPSHOT or do we need to get a release here are well?

There's a 1.0-alpha-1 version published.

I strongly recommend nexus.... it really helps investigating these
questions (this one took about 3 seconds).

IMO we should use genesis 2.0 which I think already uses ianal and has
all the needed configuration for it.

thanks
david jencks