geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dynamically adding ModuleBuilderExtensions and NamingBuilders
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:08:27 GMT

On Nov 12, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

> As part of deploying SCA enhanced Web Applications in Geronimo with
> Tuscany Plugin, I am looking to add a ModuleBuilderExtension (MBE)
> to TomcatModuleBuilder and a NamingBuilder.  The purpose of the MBE
> is to add SCA related EmbeddedRuntimeGBean to the web application
> config which will deploy the application composite to the SCA
> domain.  The purpose of the NamingBuilder is to add SCA Domain and
> other objects (required for injection of SCA references in servlets
> etc.) into the WebAppContext.  I am seeing that the MBE and
> NamingBuilder GBeans which are added as part of the Tuscany Plugin
> can not get dynamically added to the MBEs configured in tomcat6-
> builder config and NamingBuilders configured in j2ee-deployer
> config.  The one option I see is to update the plan.xml files in
> tomcat6-builder and j2ee-deployer configs and rebuild the server.
> But this won't be like the MBE and NamingBuilder is getting added as
> part of Tuscany-plugin installation.  The other option is to add
> (don't know if it is easy to do this hack) the MBE and NamingBuilder
> to the corresponding collections in TomcatModuleBuilder and
> NamingBuilder GBeans.  I appreciate any suggestions/comments or
> inputs on any alternate approach that I am not seeing.

Yup, this is a problem.  So far we've sidestepped it by just adding
all the known desired MBE's to the appropriate *-deployer plan, and as
you have found this is non-extensible.

One possiblitly would be to define marker interfaces such as WebMBE,
EjbMBE, etc that the appropriate MBE's could implement and use the
interface in the references pattern.

Anyone have a better idea?

thanks
david jencks