geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Run Geronimo as a Windows service
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:10:03 GMT

On Nov 6, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Jack Cai wrote:

> Thanks a lot Donald!
>
> So if we make this as a plugin (well, it's really a windows exe), we
> will not be able to install it to the bin directory, right? If this
> is the case, then it might not be conveniet for the users to control
> the service using command line.

You can build a plugin that unpacks something to the bin directory on
installation.  The geronimo-boilerplate plugin (under assemblies) does
nothing else.  Most or all of the *-deployer plugins unpack a schema
into the schema directory.  You end up with 2 copies of the stuff in
the server (one in the car, one in the unpacked location) but I
haven't worried about this.

> Another option is to create different assembly configuration for
> different OS. This is very easy to achieve by adding more pom.xml to
> the assemblies directory. This can also help to eliminate *.sh for
> Windows assemblies and *.bat for Unix/Linux assemblies. But I guess
> creating OS-specific build is something that Geronimo has been
> avoiding to do?

I would prefer to avoid this complication.

thanks
david jencks