geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What will trunk become after we create the 2.2 branch?
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 04:43:48 GMT

On Nov 19, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Current thinking is that we'll create branches/2.2 from trunk around
> Dec. 12, so we can start closing down the 2.2 release.
>
> What is everyone's thoughts on what version we'll use for trunk when
> that happens?
> 1) trunk becomes 3.0-SNAPSHOT and focused on JEE6
> 2) trunk becomes 2.3-SNAPSHOT, will include some JEE6 technology
> preview, but is still focused on being another JEE5 release in 2009

IMO, we should feel free to break Java EE 5 compliance, post G 2.2.
So, I think 3.0-SNAPSHOT will be appropriate. I expect that we'll go
through some number of Milestone releases, on our way to EE 6
compliance. It's possible that we could release a 3.0 that is web
profile compliant, but not fully EE 6 compliant. IMO, that's something
we'll evaluate down-the-line (e.g. once we have an actual initial EE 6
spec to evaluate).

--kevan