geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 00:34:02 GMT

On Nov 10, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Jeremy Bauer wrote:
>
>> OpenJPA & Geronimo devs,
>> Efforts are underway to begin JPA 2.0 enhancements in OpenJPA.
>> OpenJPA
>> builds with and bundles the Geronimo JPA 1.0 spec jar.  As we move
>> forward
>> to JPA 2.0, OpenJPA will need to use/provide updated spec APIs.
>> Like EJB
>> 3.1, JPA 2.0 is still in the review stages so there may be frequent
>> updates
>> to the spec API until the final draft is published.   This leads to
>> questions of "who, how, and where" for updating the JPA spec APIs
>> to JPA
>> 2.0.
>>
>> IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo.
>
> +1
>
> Even if the expert group shortly publishes a spec jar, it will not
> have the proper license.
>
>> Ideally, the
>> Geronimo project will have a branch for JPA 2.0 spec development,
>> with the
>> OpenJPA project providing the JPA 2.0 enhancements.  The concern
>> with that
>> approach is that the OpenJPA committers cannot commit to the Geronimo
>> repository.
>
> Not yet, but surely this can be fixed.
>
>> OpenJPA would need committers on the Geronimo project to do
>> code commits and builds of the spec jar.  This may become a burden
>> on the
>> Geronimo project and may be a potential (albeit small) bottleneck for
>> OpenJPA development.   Another alternative is for the OpenJPA
>> project to
>> temporarily update and maintain the 2.0 spec API (using the current
>> Geronimo
>> spec API as a starting point) while JPA 2.0 is in flux.  Major
>> revisions
>> and/or the final could then be provided to Geronimo to be published
>> in the
>> Geronimo repository, with the end goal of OpenJPA (and others)
>> using the
>> spec jar provided by Geronimo.
>
> Assuming that the Geronimo PMC trusts the OpenJPA committers, one or
> three OpenJPA developers should be given commit access to the
> portion of the repository that contains the spec jar. With suitable
> tests to make sure that we don't break the Geronimo build, this
> should be straightforward.

Do you really expect more than 2 or three revisions before
stability?    I'd suggest that we try working with patches until it
turns into an actual problem.  This might be mildly inconvenient for
whoever writes the 2.0 classes but it might end up being quicker than
trying to deal with changing svn permissions.  I have no particular
objection to doing this but.... I'm happy to apply patches quickly but
have no clue what to do about svn permissions and worry it might
involve policy changes, pmc discussions, etc etc.

I've started off with

svn cp https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec
  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec

and some changes to the pom so the results look like v.2.  I set the
maven version to 1.0-EA-SNAPSHOT since most of the draft specs I've
seen require that jars clearly indicate "early access" status (I
didn't check the jpa spec specificially).

This points out the possible problem that the jpa 1.0 spec appeared to
be part of the ejb 3.0 spec so I gave it a spec version number of
3.0.  Any suggestions about what to do about this would be appreciated.

thanks
david jencks