geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jarek Gawor" <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r718644 - in /geronimo/server/trunk/buildsupport/car-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/mavenplugins/car: ArchiveCarMojo.java ClasspathElement.java
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:47:23 GMT
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The previous way we did this was to keep the minimal possible stuff in lib
> and fire up a geronimo kernel with a repository gbean in it to abstract the
> actual structure of the repo for command line clients.  My (quite possibly
> wrong) understanding is that gshell is doing something similar using some
> ivy classes.
>
> Can you write these plugins to depend on the client-system plugin and run
> them as app clients?

Well, I can fix my particular problem by either dumping
geronimo-system.jar into the "lib" dir or by moving some classes (e.g.
RepositoryConfigurationStore.java) from geronimo-system to
geronimo-kernel. Let me if either of these sounds good to you.
I don't really want to start up a whole app container just to execute
some command line tool. I did look into booting a basic kernel with a
repo gbean (sort of what deployer or client does) but that will
require a separate plugin. And I already have two plugins just to
deploy and install the jaxws tooling. I guess I should re-consider
this option.

> I have to say I'm not very happy about the current state of geronimo
> startup.  IIUC gshell is using spring, ivy, and ant to set up the jvm for
> geronimo which is then using the geronimo kernel to set up a whole other set
> of classloaders using imitation maven classes.  I surely don't have a
> solution but this seems just too complex with too much duplicated
> functionality to me.

Btw, the version of GShell used in Geronimo trunk just loads the jar
files from the lib or the repository directory as specified in the
etc/gsh-classworlds.conf file.

Jarek