geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Reorg of Admin Console for 2.2
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:02:53 GMT
Thanks for your response.  My comments in-line below.

-Donald

Lin Sun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for bringing this up to discussion.   I am not seeing the
> obvious advantage of what you propose and I have the following
> specific comments -
> 1. I kinda like what we currently have, Server and Service.

The current grouping makes no sense, as everything under Services is
part of the "Server" and everything under Server is "services" the
runtime is providing....

> 2. I think we should have a plugin category (if we are going to have
> the collapsible tree structure) and put the 3 plugin related portlets
> there (install plugin, export plugin and customer server assembly).
> Otherwise, I think it is better to have all 3 in one page (I believe
> we discussed this before on dev list).

Plugins should be viewed as just another application archive type,
whereas exporting plugins and creating custom server assemblies has
nothing to do with managing what applications are deployed in the
current server runtime being managed, but are tools for those users who
don't want to build plugins or custom assemblies via the maven c-m-p.

> 3. I really don't like the Tools name, as it is not concrete.   I'd
> rather see stuff organized into specific names instead of a generic
> name.

Then suggest another name/grouping.  The current "Debug Views" is
misleading to admins, as it makes them seem as developer focused
portlets, whereas they are really there for admins and developers.  We
also have monitoring tools, which really should be performed by an
external application for true production environments (and we need to
include some pre-canned "health monitoring" templates out of the box for
developers and simple environments.)  The Apache HTTP portlet has
nothing to do with the provided Geronimo runtimes, as we don't include
the Apache HTTP server.

The thought here, is to group all the portlets that are not used for
server, application or security management, into a separate "tools"
category.

> 4. I like plan creator under Applications better, as it is today.

It provides no application management function today (aka.
deploy/redeploy/undeploy) and is really only there because we didn't
want to tie users to Eclipse (which we now have Deployment Plan Editors
in the Eclipse tooling, so these should be viewed as optional tools now.)

> Maybe we should not rush the organization of the console navigation in
> 2.2, given that we are planning it soon.  I 'd rather to see us do it
> in one shot, instead of changing it in 2.2 and changing it again in
> 3.0.

This is a discussion to see what people think.  If the consensus is to
wait another year or more for console improvements, then fine, but just
because we're planning on cutting the 2.2 branch mid-Dec. shouldn't keep
us from making improvements now.