geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: grails plugin
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:26:38 GMT
Jason Dillon wrote:
> Just curios why one would even bother with this?  Seems that this would
> only be useful when someone deploys more than one grails-based app into
> the sever... do folks even do that?  And what if the 2 apps evolve
> differently and then need different versions of grails/groovy?

Yes, It's only useful if deploying more than one grails web app.  My
thinking was that if a user has decided to work in a grails model the
chances are probably good they'll be working multiple projects using the
same model. My guess is that a user won't be maintaining multiple
applications on multiple versions of grails (and deploying them to the
same server) ... but I guess that is a possibility.  We would need to
release a new version of the plugin for a new release of grails.

> And then the need of tools to take a grails war and turn it into a
> geronimo grails war... seems like too much work for little gain... and
> in some respect some loss.

Yes, there is some work to generate the geronimo grails war.  I
discovered an easy way to remove all of the external dependencies using
a simple configuration change in the grails workspace.  However, the
grails jars themselves are always included in the war.  So far the only
way that I've been able to remove those too is by altering the
war.groovy script.  So some more work is needed here.  Also, there is
not yet a grails release that is distributing maven artifacts (but
hopefully 1.1 will as they have snapshots deployed for this release).

> How big are the dependencies anyways?

About 18MB.