geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Only Support Java SE 6 with Geronimo 2.2
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2008 05:04:25 GMT
The time has come to make the hard decision -

Do we only build and certify Geronimo 2.2 on the Sun 1.6.0 JDK and drop
support for running on Java SE 5?

Pros:
- Reduce testing effort to one version of Java
- Allows us to use the JAXB 2.1, JAX-WS 2.1 and wsgen tools in the JDK,
instead of shipping those jars in our assemblies (and removes some more
Sun RI from our assemblies)  :-)
- Keeps us current on the latest Java release
- All major platforms have a Java SE 6 solution:
   - Sun provided 1.6.0 for Windows, Solaris, Linux on Intel/AMD
   - MacOS 10.5.x provides 1.6.0_07
   - openSUSE 11.0/11.1 users can install Sun 1.6.0_10 from build repos
   - Ubuntu 7.04 and later users can install Sun 1.6.0 from net repos
   - Fedora 9/10 comes with OpenJDK 6, but users can install Sun 1.6.0
   - IBM provides 1.6.0 SR2 for AIX, pLinux, zLinux, zOS, ...

Cons:
- Users will have to upgrade to Java SE 6 to run Geronimo 2.2
- Will require us to maintain the 2.1 branch during 2009 for any users
who want to stay on Java SE 5

I'm for moving to a Java SE 6 only runtime for Geronimo 2.2.

-Donald