geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.2 discussion
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 20:10:40 GMT
Looks like discussion on this thread has died down a bit but the clock
is still ticking ... New Years will be here all too soon and IIUC we're
trying to beat that clock!!

Some things in addition to what you've listed (I'll update the wiki with
these too):
- There are a number of snapshots still in use:
   - OpenEJB
   - Axis2
   - Axiom
   - xBean
   - wadi
   - j2ee-connector spec
   - jaspi spec
   - servlet spec
   - concurrent spec
   - geronimo jaspi component
   - XmlSchema
   - woden*
   - jspc-compiler
   - and various maven plugins.
   Some of these may be just as simple as using a released version but
others may require that we get releases from these projects (or push
releases of those that we control).  The latter will slow us down.  I'll
start working on removing these.
- Genesis.  I see you've already upgraded to the newly released 1.5 ...
but there's been some talk about Genesis 2.0.  I'm fine with 1.5 but if
folks think we need 2.0 then we need to get moving on that.
- I guess we'll have to either release a number of the plugins again or
figure out some compatibility solution as we did for 2.1.3+.  Ideally,
we should think about compatibility ahead of time even if we find we
need to release some (or all) of the plugins again.  I'm specifically
thinking of samples, server-repo, daytrader, etc...  I don't think these
need to be concurrent with 2.2 but we need to make sure we have a plan
that doesn't require server changes before we release the 2.2 server.
- I'm a bit worried about the TCK implications (which you've already
mentioned).  There will be a number of issues supporting Java SE6 as
well as some issues that I know have been out there for a while.  I
think it will make our life easier to focus exclusively on SE6.

I've been assuming all along that you are planning to be the release
manager for 2.2 Donald.  Is that correct?  I can help as well if you
want to share the burden (and if nobody objects).

Joe