geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: GShell Update
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:45:07 GMT
Hi Jason,

This sounds very cool but I don't understand exactly what the ssh
functionality gets us or what your vision of shared commands between
the web console and gshell looks like.

IIUC right now communication between gshell and a geronimo server is
via jmx, which optionally can be using ssl.  Again IIUC there's no
requirement that the geronimo server be on the same machine as
gshell.  We don't have the ability to start a geronimo instance on
another machine at the moment, but once one is started I don't quite
understand what ssh adds to the picture.  With the ssh stuff can you
start a gshell + g. server on a remote machine?  How is this different
from just ssh-ing into the machine from a normal terminal session and
running gshell?

As for commands, my view is that both gshell commands and web console
portlet code consist of collecting the information needed for calls to
gbean operations.  While the portlet code is generally horrendously
complicated and difficult to understand I don't really see how more of
this data-collection-from-the-user code could be shared between the
web console and gshell. Do you have a simple illustration in mind?

Many thanks!
david jencks