geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Lin Sun" <linsun....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r702586 - in /geronimo/server/trunk/plugingroups/console-jetty: ./ pom.xml src/ src/main/ src/main/history/ src/main/history/dependencies.xml src/main/plan/
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:17:22 GMT
There is no doubt that framework is useful, but I think most of the
other plugin groups are useful too (for example web-jetty, web-tomcat,
or the javaee5-jetty, javaee5-tomcat).   It is almost impossible to
come up those quickly for a new geronimo user.
With plugin groups, I can see users pick any of the plugin group(s)
and plus their applications from their existing server to build a new
working server easily.

Some of the plugin groups may sound very simple and small and there
doesn't seem to be a need for them, for example the jms or jsf plugin
group.   But for a new user (keep in mind that you guys are geronimo
experts!!), it is not that obvious to them which modules can get them
to the jms function.   First, they need to understand activemq is the
JMS impl in geronimo; Second they need to find out all the modules
that are jms/activemq related and figure out which ones they need.
By grouping them together, users can get the function with one click
or command (specify the plugin group as the plugin to be installed via
admin console or command line).   Thus I think they add some
convenience to the user.     I think I am open to remove these type of
plugin groups if you guys strongly prefer that.

Lin