geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Instances With One Repository
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:31:02 GMT

On Oct 15, 2008, at 1:38 PM, pdennis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've looked around the documentation and the forum to find my answer
> and I
> haven't found it, yet.
>
> I just read about Multiple Repositories
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC20/multiple-repositories.html here ,
> so I can
> start several instances and create a local repository for each
> instance.
> What I want to do is to create a Repository, deploy an ear and a
> database
> pool, and start several instances that use that Repository.
>
> In the WASCE_HOME directory, there is the main repository and var
> directories, what I would like to do is to create a local
> repository, and
> start several instances that use that repository.  So I think I am
> after a
> structure like this:
>
> WASCE_HOME
>    repo1
>        instance1
>        instance2
>        instance3
>    repo2
>        instance1
>        instance2
>        instance3
>    repo3
>        instance1
>        instance2
>        instance3
>
> Is this possible?  If so, how would I do this?

I'm not sure why you want mutliple repositories.  I think you can do
what you want with only the default repository.

We actually have sort of a sample of multiple servers sharing a
repository.  One version that may be usable is at http://people.apache.org/~djencks/failover2.tar.gz
To build it yourself build serve/trunk, then checkout

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/failover

and build the pieces independently.

There's a linux script that makes a bunch of server copies (copying
the var directory) and a couple scripts that start the servers on
different ports.  This sample works on plugins so you can see plugins
installed on each of the "servers".  The first time a plugin is
installed it actually gets into the repository and the installation
process may unpack stuff into that server's var dir.  When the plugin
is installed on the other servers sharing the repo the only thing that
happens is the unpacking into the var dir.

You can do something similar with apps that you aren't thinking of as
plugins by deploying the app into the appropriate first server, then
starting the app in the other servers you want it running in.

Productive use of this feature is just starting so please let us know
what is unclear or if you run into problems or have more questions.

many thanks
david jencks