geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <jason.dil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grails, JRuby on Rails, etc... scripting languages/environments and Geronimo integration
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:42:12 GMT
IMO, language is irrelevant.  What you want to consider is what you
want the scripting language to do for you... that is what is
important.  Basically (almost) any scripting language can be
integrated (bsf or direct) but what is missing is the users use-cases
for what the really want scripted.

But.. users't don't always tell you want they want up front, they look
at what you have and then complain when its broken wrt their own
needs.  So it might be worthwhile doing some POC work to add more
scripting support.  Though I don't think that web-app scripting
crapski is the best way to provide that.

If you think about it, there are a few uses for scripting in the
application server's context.  First is that the app developers prefer
the language, but they still provide JavaEE muck to install/run.  So
we could reduce some footprint by providing plugins, but that not
really that important, as the feature will still work w/o it.  The
second is where the application exposes some "configuration logic"
which is intended to be easily augmented when installing/running the
application.  In this model part of the application's behavior is
configured via some scripting language, which is intended to be
changed (slightly or dramatically) to fit the application
installations requirements.  The third is where the application wants
to provide an extensible action interface, so allow such an
application to "do whatever it wants".  For example, if an application
supports some concept of "filtering", one might desire that the filter
be implemented by a script which the administrator of the application
could writte/configure.

I'm sure I'm missing more examples, but it should be sufficient to
point these out.

Scripting is a very powerful way to extend you application, and I'm
certainly a proponent.  But what I'm having trouble realizing is...
for a JavaEE application server, what/how/why would a developer want
to script?

--jason