geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: An idea for defining custom valves in config.xml
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:08:19 GMT
Hi David,

You are correct: the underpinning philosophy of these approaches is
to make it easier to modify pre-canned plugins through extension points.

This may be a good approach to improve further the packaging model of
dependencies and services. Let's say that an end-user wants to add a
connector to the tomcat6 plugin. Instead of using the admin console
or updating his config.xml, he can simply deploy a cumulative plan.
This notion of cumulative plan is the key differentiator as users can
share their cumulative plans "as-is" - i.e. w/o knowing what the
plugin to be modified looks like.  To some extent, providing a plan
ready to be deployed instead of deployment instructions is better for
novices.

I will work on the Groovy builder approach and post back more details
as I go.

Thanks,
Gianny