geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Creating server instances
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:58:13 GMT
For a long time we've been  talking about having an easy way to create
lots of server instances sharing the same geronimo installation
(GERONIMO-3123).  After staring at the farm demo long enough I
realized that we could use almost the same technique to "clone" a
server instance as used to install the same plugins on all the
instances sharing a geronimo install.

The var directory was originally created by unpacking stuff out of all
the plugins installed in the server.  So we can create a new var
directory for the new server instance by creating a ServerInfo set up
for the new instance (i.e. knowing where the server is, i.e. the var
directory), creating a PluginInstallerGBean around it, and installing
all the plugins that are installed on the original server.  After
fixing a few bugs, this amounts to unpacking the stuff out of all
these plugins into the new var directory.

This seems like a pretty elegant solution to me.

There's a new gshell command

deploy/new-instance -n server1

david jencks

View raw message