geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: An idea for defining custom valves in config.xml
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:25:04 GMT

On Oct 8, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Jason Warner wrote:

> I'm not sure if these steps are reasonable from a purely user
> perspective.  When using plain old tomcat, you can download a
> binary, add your custom valve jar, make a config change and then use
> your server with its custom valve.  To accomplish the same task in
> geronimo, we are asking the user to download and install maven as
> well as grab source code for the tomcat plugin.  I'd really like to
> have a way we can accomplish the same goal while allowing the users
> to maintain a user level of interaction with geronimo.

I think (1) is really a more realistic approach philosophically so
I'll only discuss it more.

Lets consider the results of the modifications on tomcat and geronimo.

In tomcat, the user has modified their server installation and has no
built-in record of what they did.  If they install another server
somewhere else they have to look in their notes or try to remember
what they did or ??? to get the same result.

In geronimo + maven they have a reproducible and automated way to
generate the customization that is suitable for storing in scm,
auditing, running through qa, etc etc.

Its also possible to fish the plan out of the tomcat6 plugin, modify
it a bit, and deploy it using gshell or (if you didn't start it) using
the console.  I think you could add the geronimo-plugin.xml using the
admin console and add the artifact-aias.  This on export would result
in a reusable plugin.  I'm not sure if you could turn around and
install the plugin on the server it was generated on to install the
artifact alias so on the next startup you'd get the new tomcat plugin.

My philosophical objection to adding valves to the existing tomcat
config is that you've changed it in a fundamental way so you should
have a new, replacement, plugin instead.  By this point you can add
the extra jar(s) anyway as dependencies.

Maybe we could have a tomcat server portlet that would help with
generating tomcat server plans with custom valves and connectors and
such stuff.  I think that right now that is still the hardest part.

thanks
david jencks