geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: An idea for defining custom valves in config.xml
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:55:57 GMT

On Oct 3, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Jason Warner wrote:

>   Hey all.  I'm working on an idea for allowing custom valves to be
> defined in config.xml.  Currently this isn't possible since the
> tomcat classloader would not contain the custom classes for the
> valve.  I've create a jira for tracking this issue [1] and it
> contains a few links to workarounds.  IMHO, The solution we should
> be looking for is a way to add classes to a module without having to
> undeploy, modify the module config, and redeploying.

People have suggested stuff like this before.  IMO it pretty much goes
against the fundamental idea of geronimo of having fairly fixed
plugins with only a few knobs to turn to adjust things in config.xml

Why is changing the classloader contents in config.xml a good idea?
What is so hard about redeploying the app if you want to change its
classloader significantly?  If you want to change a class in the app
you have to redeploy it.... why is this situation different?

david jencks

> I think this can be done by allowing a user to indicate jars that
> should be loaded by a module within the config.xml.  These jars can
> then be added to the module's classloader for use by the module.
> I'm not extremely familiar with how our classloader works, but I've
> taken a look through the code and I think the ability to add to the
> classloader can be implemented without too much difficulty.  I'm not
> quite sure what type of scope to give this change, though.  Should I
> leave it as a change aimed solely at tomcat valves or should it be
> expanded to encompass any configuration?  I realize this is only a
> rough idea of what i plan to do, but I'm still working out the
> details of how to proceed.  I'm hoping for some feedback on what I
> intend to do and possibly some alternate ideas if anyone has some.
> Thanks!
> [1]
> --
> ~Jason Warner