geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: An idea for defining custom valves in config.xml
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:56:20 GMT

On Oct 6, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Jason Warner wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM, David Jencks
> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> On Oct 3, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Jason Warner wrote:
>
>>   Hey all.  I'm working on an idea for allowing custom valves to be
>> defined in config.xml.  Currently this isn't possible since the
>> tomcat classloader would not contain the custom classes for the
>> valve.  I've create a jira for tracking this issue [1] and it
>> contains a few links to workarounds.  IMHO, The solution we should
>> be looking for is a way to add classes to a module without having
>> to undeploy, modify the module config, and redeploying.
>
> People have suggested stuff like this before.  IMO it pretty much
> goes against the fundamental idea of geronimo of having fairly fixed
> plugins with only a few knobs to turn to adjust things in config.xml
> and config-substitutions.properties.
>
> Why is changing the classloader contents in config.xml a good idea?
> What is so hard about redeploying the app if you want to change its
> classloader significantly?  If you want to change a class in the app
> you have to redeploy it.... why is this situation different?
>
> The specific instance I have in mind for this change is using a
> custom valve for tomcat, so I think the scope really should be
> limited to just the tomcat module.  I can't think of another
> instance where this would be useful, so it's probably not necessary
> or desirable to expand it further.  I believe this situation is
> different because the structure of geronimo is causing a disconnect
> between the functionality of tomcat and the functionality of tomcat
> as it is embedded in geronimo.  As Don just said in the middle of my
> typing this, I don't believe we should expect the average user to
> have to rebuild one of our modules to add something that can be
> added in a much simpler way within tomcat itself.

Could you explain more about the circumstances for this custom valve?
Is it intended to be for every app deployed on this tomcat server
instance rather than for one particular app?  Will it work if it is in
a child classloader of the tomcat plugin classloader?

At the moment I would MUCH rather see us make it easier for users to
deploy new/different/modified tomcat servers (and other plugins) than
introduce a hack to modify classloaders of existing plugins.  Our
customization story is already  too complicated, IMO we don't need to
glue on more bits that don't actually fit well.

IMO the best end result for users is to have a new tomcat plugin with
the needed extra jars and valve configuration.  Lets look for a way to
make it really easy for our users to get there.

How would you deal with this in an osgi or spring environment?

thanks
david jencks