geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: axis2 and cxf dependencies
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:50:07 GMT

On Oct 27, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> We use Spring to configure CXF at runtime. As to jaxen, I'm pretty
> sure we can remove it (it is already removed in trunk but would have
> to double check for branches/2.1).
>
> In my opinion this is a general problem with ClassLoaders in Geronimo.
> Right now the application classloaders can see all the classes but
> they should really only see the public api. I think a lot of people
> keep running into these library conflicts issues and we should address
> it somehow.
>
> I don't think changing how we manage the default environment settings
> alone will fix this problem - it might minimize it by a bit but not
> solve it. And as far as I remember, we changed how the default
> environment settings were handled in the first place (we used to add
> them when needed) because of annotation processing introduced in 2.0.

That's my recollection also.

I agree that there's a problem with beyond-the-api visibility.  I
haven't thought through what solution I'd like.

IIUC osgi has imports and exports from each bundle. I don't think we
can do something like restricting exports to api classes as I think
that would unduly restrict server extension.  Maybe we could
automatically add imports just for apis to ee applications.

I think we could do something like this also with our current
classloaders.

In any case, the default env fix would address a different problem,
that we are currently adding the e.g. ws dependencies whether or not
the app has any web services inside.

thanks
david jencks