geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Improved EJB integration... can we get some portlets?
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:39:22 GMT

On Oct 8, 2008, at 7:42 AM, Manu George wrote:

> Hi David B,
>              All the attributes that you added in the container
> wrapper gbeans  are final. I understand the reason for them being
> final i.e. the attributes are used only during the creation of the
> container. Previously all the gbeans had a properties attribute and I
> used to add the configuration properties to that. I also think that it
> was not final. Currently without setters and with attributes being
> final I can no longer edit the gbean attributes. The way i see it we
> need to add setter methods and also make the attributes non final. Let
> me know what you think.
>
>     Previously the portlet would just edit the properties attributes
> of the gbean and inform the user that a server restart is necessary
> for the changes to be applied. What do you think is the approach i
> should take here?
>
> I observe that the admin console has a restart functionality which
> also starts all the dependencies so currently we will need only a
> restart of the openejb configuration

To me it looks like you are basically proposing a plan editor or
config.xml editor for openejb.  You can't safely change the actual
attribute values at runtime so lets look for a solution that doesn't
pretend to be able to.

I think you have three possible strategies here:

1. create a plan editor for plans similar to the openejb plugin and
use it to generate replacements for the openejb plugin
2. create an editor for specified customizations of config.xml.  This
might or might not be practical.  It's more likely to work if the
openejb plugin is stopped when you edit gbean attribute values.
3. put all the things you want to be able to change into config-
substitutions as variables and edit those (in the in-memory map
accessible through (????) ArtifactResolver).

thanks
david jencks