geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Bartel <j...@webtide.com>
Subject Re: [jetty-dev] Jetty Security refactoring for JASPI
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 02:37:43 GMT
Hi David,

I'm still snatching time to tiptoe further around the jaspi branch.

A couple of thoughts to run by you:

1. UserIdentity and LoginService classnames. These are quasi analogous
   to UserPrincipal and UserRealm (although the behaviour has been refactored).
   I'm wondering whether it might not be a good idea to retain the old
   classnames, just so it might be easier for jetty users/developers
   to ease into understanding the new security structures?

1a. Actually thinking about this, it will probably be quite important for
   Jetty users to be able to make a smooth transition over to a jaspi-based
   implementation. Do you think we can retain a UserRealm and a UserPrincipal
   with all their methods intact, but just "blend in" the jaspi-ness with
   some extra methods and some changed implementations of the existing apis?

2. We allow a UserRealm to be explicitly set on a WebAppContext (well,
   strictly speaking its WebAppContext.getSecurityHandler().setUserRealm(UserRealm)).
   I couldn't see specific support for that, only getting a list of
   LoginServices from the Server instance. Should be easy enough to
   put in though?

3. With the JAAS stuff, which has its own set of callbacks it
   uses to obtain info, we used a DefaultCallbackHandler to plug in
   the right info, such as credentials, passwords, usernames and
   also extra request parameters from the login. I notice you're using
   an anonymous CallbackHandler instead to pass into the JAAS LoginContext.
   Is it possible to use the DefaultCallbackHandler instead? It supports
   a couple more callback types that some LoginModule implementations may
   depend on.

4. Minor thing - is there a lot of value in the RunAsToken marker interface
   as opposed to just having a String? The roles and role mappings are
   themselves just Strings, so I was wondering what the utility is?

best regards
Jan

David Jencks wrote:

> [...]
>>> easier. I expect these changes will also simplify integration with e.g.
>>> jboss and glassfish but I haven't seriously tried to verify this.
>>>
>>> Currently all the authentication code (replacing the *Authenticator
>>> classes) is implemented in terms of jaspi but I plan to change this soon
>>> to use the jetty specific interfaces directly.
>>>
>>> So.... lets follow a HttpServletRequest/Response pair on its voyage
>>> through the security system...
>>>

>>> ... it arrives at AbstractSecurityHandler.handle.  This is a template
>>> method that runs through the following structure calling out to
>>> subclasses and the authentication system:
>>> 1. calls checkUserDataPermissions(pathInContext, base_request,
>>> base_response, constraintInfo).  This checks the user data constraints,
>>> basically that the request arrived over the right kind of connection
>>> (http/https).  Two obvious implementations of this are the existing
>>> jetty constraint based implementation or one based on JACC.
>>>
>>> 2. calls isAuthMandatory(base_request, base_response, constraintInfo) to
>>> determine if the request actually needs authentication.  If it does not
>>> we can often delay authentication until a method relying on auth results
>>> is called (such as getUserPrincipal or isUserInRole).  Again this can be
>>> implemented using constraints or JACC.
>>>
>>> 3. packs the request, response, and authManditory into a
>>> JettyMessageInfo holder object which can also pass various auth info in
>>> a map.
>>>
>>> 4. delegates the authentication to the jaspi-like ServerAuthResult
>>> authResult = serverAuthentication.validateRequest(messageInfo);
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>  assuming we are not doing lazy auth, this will extract the credentials
>>> from the request (possibly conducing a multi-message exchange with the
>>> client to request the credentials) and validate them.
>>>  Validation can use a LoginService possibly provided to the
>>> ServerAuthentication which could be JAAS, Hash, JDBC, etc etc.
>>>  Lazy auth results in returning a lazy result that only attempts
>>> authentication when info is actually needed.  In this case no message
>>> exchange with the client is possible.
>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>> 5. Assuming that authentication succeeded (this includes the lazy case
>>> where the request would be allowed even without authentication), we wrap
>>> up the result in an identity delegate:
>>>         UserIdentity userIdentity = newUserIdentity(authResult);
>>>         base_request.setUserIdentity(userIdentity);
>>> The UserIdentity is the delegate for run-as role implementation and
>>> actually answering auth questions from the application program.  This
>>> allows app servers to handle run-as roles however they want.
>>>
>>> 6. Assuming authentication is mandatory, now that we know the user, we
>>> can find out if they are in the appropriate roles:
>>> checkWebResourcePermissions(pathInContext, base_request, base_response,
>>> constraintInfo, userIdentity)
>>>
>>> 7. On success, we can actually handle the request:
>>> getHandler().handle(pathInContext, messageInfo.getRequestMessage(),