geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0.3 release
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:18:28 GMT

I guess I should resolve this discussion on "if" we should release 2.0.3
that I started.

Thank you both Jay and Donald for your responses. I'm not completely
opposed to a 2.0.3 release.  I was just wondering aloud if it was the
best use of our resources and if it conveyed the right message to our
users.  I was also wondering a little if it might create more problems
for our users than it solves.  You know the drill ... upgrade from one
maintenance release to another only to discover yet another issue that
then forces you to a new version like 2.1.* because it isn't resolved in
the current maintenance stream.  If it weren't for the security issues I
would see no value in a 2.0.3 release.  Anyway, I am certainly not
planning to stand in the way of a 2.0.3 release.  I'll even do my part
to validate the images and help where I can.  However, my gut still
tells me that we might creating more problems than we are solving. But
since I'm the only one that feels that way I'm not too worried (I've
been wrong plenty of times before ;-) ).

It sounds like we still need to document what is necessary to move from
2.0.* to 2.1.* in any case.  I guess the first step might be adding the
libraries that are no longer included in 2.1.* into the list in the wiki
under http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/what-changed-in-21.html.  Does
anybody have a complete list of these libraries?  We'll probably still
need more specific documentation to make it clear what a user might have
to do when moving from 2.0.* to 2.1.*.  Perhaps another page somewhere
(similar to those under "Migrating to Apache Geronimo")?

Joe