geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0.3 release
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:52:50 GMT

I apologize for not raising this question on the earlier thread.

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to release a 2.0.3 at this point in
time.  We've had several releases of 2.1.x (four) and we'll hopefully
release 2.2 in the not too distant future.  I'm a little concerned that
releasing a 2.0.3 now will just encourage people to continue on the
2.0.* base rather than taking the plunge and moving up to 2.1.*.  It's
been a year since we released 2.0.2 and in addition to the security
fixes there have been a lot of other fixes/enhancements in the 2.1 branch.

What are the big stumbling blocks that prevent a user from moving from
2.0.2 to 2.1.3 to resolve the security concerns?

Rather than releasing 2.0.3, should we maybe consider a greater focus on
ensuring there is a smooth migration path from 2.0.2 to 2.1.3?  Once we
have clearly identified any issues and ensured that we have adequate
directions we could notify the user community that there will be no
further 2.0.* releases and encourage them to move to 2.1.3.  It might
actually be easier for us to release 2.0.3 in the short term, but sooner
or later users will have to address the migration issues ... so I'm just
wondering if it might be a better use of our time to address those
migration issues now.

Joe