geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Framework assembly problems with commands
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:51:00 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2008, at 6:25 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> Jarek Gawor wrote:
>>> Comments inline:

>>> All these commands have GShell equivalents but they just might be
>>> named slightly differently (e.g. seach-plugins == list-plugins).
>>> However, the GShell equivalents might not support all the features of
>>> the commands (e.g. --offline is not supported in GShell).
>>
>> Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I mistakenly assumed the commands
>> were not available in gshell when I went looking for the
>> search-plugins and didn't see it.  I did see list-plugins in the
>> gshell help but it looks like the description in trunk isn't quite
>> right (indicates it lists the installed plugins).

>>> If basic deployment should work in the framework assembly we must also
>>> install "jsr88-cli" and "offline-deployer" plugins. Once I installed
>>> these plugins I was able to do list-targets, list-modules. I have not
>>> tried to deploy a new plugin though.
>>
>> Thanks for the information Jarek.  We need to decide if we plan to
>> keep the commands around.  If so, then I think we need to ensure they
>> continue to work in all assemblies (esp. since this was working in
>> 2.1.1 and earlier).  The refactoring of the CLI between 2.1.1 and
>> 2.1.2 must have introduced the requirement for these plugins in the
>> framework which were not necessary earlier.
>

> IMO framework is intended only to support plugin installation, not any
> kind of deployment such as using geronimo-gbean-deployer for service
> plugins.  So, I don't want to try to support offline deployment until we
> have a way of plugging things into gshell so we can add offline
> deployment capabilities to a base gshell install.

Ok.  Earlier today I added jsr88-cli and offline-deployer to the
framework assembly.  I can remove the offline-deployer as it appears
that the jsr88-cli module is all that is needed for the scenario I was
attempting.

However, I'm not sure what to do about geronimo-gbean-deployer.  This is
pulled into the image when I include jsr88-cli and started.  Is there a
better way to get the plugin installation working (for things like
search-plugins) that won't pull in the geronimo-gbean-deployer?

I think that we need to support the search-plugins capability from the
command line as we did prior to 2.1.2.

Joe